Inviting aromas of rich aromas of cassis, vanilla, and raspberries. The palate is well-balanced with smooth tannins and a full body and shows off the rich dark fruit and fresh cracked pepper character our Syrah is known for.
John Schreiner - 93 Points "This is a rich, bold wine with aromas of fig, dark plum and black pepper. Those are echoed on the palate, mingled with dark fruit flavours, cracked black pepper and a hint of earthiness."
Tony Aspler "These are some of the best wines from British Columbia, especially the Syrah 2018, which reminded me of a Cornas from the Northern Rhône"
David Lawrason - 92 Points " This deep black/purple syrah is showing good poise for its size and depth. The nose is quite soft but rich with boysenberry, black cherry compote, some meatiness, deep rose florality and cigar tobacco. It is full bodied, fairly dense and plump with fine sandpaper tannin. The acidity is excellent... I would give this another two or three years, but it is impressive now as well." Tasted April 2021
Michael Godel - 92 Points "Never the shy one and always bold, deep and even a bit mysterious, here in 2018 the Painted Rock doubles down on its swarthy execution."
Anthony Gismondi - 91 Points "The latest PR syrah is grown mid-valley on a sunny, west-facing Skaha Bench slope. The style takes us to Barossa with its rich, hedonistic, ripe cassis and black raspberry aroma and its glassy smooth black and blue fruits that spill across the palate, with medium savoury notes and minimal meaty characters this year. It is already inviting, sliding down with ease despite its youth. This mixes two blocks of estate-grown clones: 100 and 99, all handpicked October 22, 2018. The final mix spends 18 months in 30 percent new oak (80/20 French/American), while the remaining 70% of all French oak is one-year-old. Not as complex this year, but ripe and highly attractive nonetheless. You best get some of this while you can."
Christopher Waters, Globe & Mail - 91 Points "Always one to watch from the Okanagan, Painted Rock's stately expression of syrah offers layers of dark fruit and spice notes as part of a ripe and rewarding package. The new vintage offers more purity of fruit than usual, with freshness and ripe tannins to support. This is a red with instant appeal. Drink now to 2025."
Awards for Past Vintages:
2017 Syrah - Top 10 Syrah - WineAlign's Guide to Canada's Best Wines 2020
2016 Syrah – Gold Medal, Wine Align National Wine Awards of Canada 2019
2016 Syrah – Silver Medal, Decanter World Wine Awards
2015 Syrah – Gold Medal, BC Lieutenant Governors Awards
2014 Syrah – Silver Medal, Syrah du Monde 2017
2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009 vintages awarded Gold at InterVin International Wine Awards (2013-2018)
2009 Syrah – Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Excellence in BC Wines 2012
Media and Reviews for Past Vintages:
2017 Syrah – 93 Points – John Schreiner & Sara d'Amato, WineAlign
2016 Syrah – 93 Points – John Schreiner
2015 Syrah – 92 Points – Beppi Crosariol, The Globe and Mail
2014 Syrah – 17.5 Richard Hemming – “watch out world, this is one the best syrahs out there”. www.jancisrobinson.com
2014 Syrah – 92 Points, Anthony Gismondi, The Vancouver Sun
2013 Syrah – 91 Points, Decanter Magazine, Steven Spurrier
2013 Syrah – 93 Points, Beppi Crosariol, The Globe and Mail
Our Syrah was hand picked from our two estate syrah blocks starting on Oct. 22, 2018. J block is planted with clone 100 and M block is planted with 99. This wine was aged for 18 months in 30% new oak. Of that new oak, 80% was French and 20% was American. The remaining 70% was aged in 2nd fill French oak.
|Titratable Acidity:||6.5 g/L|
|Residual Sugar:||1.8 g/L|
It was an overall cooler vintage with a delayed start due to cool and wet weather. The vineyard caught up by mid-summer, just in time for the smoke to roll in in August and delay things with the blocked sunlight. That said, we are incredibly pleased this was the only impact of the smoke on our vineyard. We intentionally left leaves on all the vines throughout the smoke risk period in case there were soot issues, but due to the fantastic air movement on our site no soot settled on the fruit. Thanks to a lovely fall with lots of sunlight and little rain, the fruit was beautifully ripened on schedule with harvest beginning in October and completed by November 5th.