This months pairing is our 2016 Merlot with the Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies from Lesley Stowe's Desserts from my Kitchen cookbook!
1/3 cup all-pupose flour
1 tsp espresso powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp fine sea salt
10 oz semisweet (65% or higher) chocolate, roughly chopped*
3 tbs unsalted butter
2 tsp pure vanilla extrat
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets wtih parchment.
2. In a large bowl sift together flour, espresso powder, baking powder and salt.
3. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low head melt chocolate and butter with vanilla. Set aside to cool.
4. Meanwhile in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer on medium-high speed beat sugar and eggs until thicketed and light yellow. Add the chocolate mixture slowly, stirring all the while until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir well. Add chocolate chips stirring by hand until just combined. The mixture will be very loose. Cover and refridgerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
5. Form 1 tbs of dough into balls and place on prepared baking sheets, spaced 3 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until just set in the middle. Do not overcook. Remove from oven and cook on baking sheets for 3-5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
* I wanted to limited the sweetness so I used 80% chocolate.