Inviting aromas of bright citrus, ripe stone fruit and minerality. On the palate this wine is dry with crisp, mouth-watering acidity and a rich, weighty body. The luscious citrus and tropical fruit and steely minerality mirror the nose with added elements of sweet spiced nuts and freshly baked bread. Complex yet refreshing, this wine has a lingering finish. Delicious and ready to enjoy now!
|Titratable Acidity:||6.5 g/l|
|Volatile Acidity:||0.48 g/l|
|Bottling Date:||May 30, 2016|
Our 2015 Chardonnay is a blend of three micro-harvests from our single estate Chardonnay block. Over 3 weeks we conducted these harvests to capture specific attributes in the fruit. 40% was aged in new French oak, 40% was aged in second fill French oak barrels. The last harvest of 20% was aged in stainless steel and underwent malolactic fermentation. This process enabled us to embrace the beautiful bright acidity while building mouthfeel, complexity and aromatics with the final pick. This wine is very consistent with our 2014 vintage. We hope you enjoy the fruits of our labours.
40% was aged in new French oak, 40% was aged in second fill French oak barrels. The last harvest of 20% was aged in stainless steel and underwent malolactic fermentation.
92 POINTS Full-bodied but gracefully tight and crisp, this is a smartly crafted white assembled from several components. Forty per cent was matured in new French oak, 40 per cent in more neutral second-fill barrels and 20 per cent in stainless steel for added verve. The creamy texture is offset by crisp acidity and wonderfully smoky, flinty character, with flavours of pineapple and peach in the foreground. Beppi Crosariol, Globe & Mail, July 14, 2016
The wine has ravishing tropical aromas and flavours, ranging from lychee and peach to citrus. The fruit is so vivid that I took it to be an unoaked Chardonnay. Of course, Painted Rock does not do unoaked.
The winery achieved all of this bright and layered flavour first by doing three micro-harvests in its Chardonnay block. Each harvest brought in grapes with different flavour profiles and ripeness. Then 40% of the wine was aged about eight months in new French oak, another 40% was aged in second-fill French oak. The final 20% was aged in stainless steel. Only the latter portion went through malolactic fermentation. When blended, the ML fraction added texture. But preventing 80% from going through ML meant that [they] preserved the bright acidity – hard to do in a hot year like 2015 – which gives this wine a lively, tangy finish. John Schreiner
92 POINTS The finished wine is as complex as its ever-evolving, multifaceted recipe with aromas and flavours of honeydew, pear, tangerine, lemon/lime, vanilla, stonefruit, spice and brioche. Pure, refined and elegant with a harmonious balance of its core elements: fruit, acid and texture. An effortless intensity which will help the wine hold for many years and develop further over time as the intensity is slowly dialled back to reveal layers of dried and candied fruit aromas and flavours. Drink 2017-2022 Laim Carrier
Zesty, substantial, toasted. Made from estate Skaha Bench Chardonnay grapes, which came from three micro-harvests over a three week period. As is fairly typical with this wine, 80% was aged in first and second fill French oak barrels for five and a half months, the remaining 20% in stainless steel and was put through secondary malolactic fermentation. I tasted this wine several times, from two bottles and at various temperatures, from chilled to merely slightly chilled. The 2015 showed consistent aromas of roasted hazelnut, browned butter, toasted spices and grilled pineapple with lemon meringue and hints of matchstick atop leesy undertones. It has a substantial weight - almost liqueur-like, with golden apples, tangy lemon, vanilla and toasted oak. The finish is brazenly zesty. Recommended Pairings: Good First Impressions, Cellar Keepers, White Meat Chicken/Pork, First Date, Creamy Dishes Daenna Van Mulligen